Carson’s 8 Rules of Design
At the recent Interior Design Society Conference in the beautiful mid-century mecca of Palm Springs, Carson Kressley, shared his 8 design tips. Despite rising to fame on the original Queer Eye for the Straight Guy as a wardrobe guru, his advice was spot on.
- Even with my 17 years of experience in this industry, it takes time to create beautiful interiors. And the more time the plan has to develop, the better it can be.
- Is there a picture or color palette the room will be built around? How about a vibe you’re trying to achieve?
- Color makes us feel something. Using it wisely will make your interiors come to life
- Bring nature in. Use the patterns, materials, and color combos found outside your window.
- Art and antiques
- These add soul to your space. Don’t forget these!
- Classics vs fashion
- Splurge on the best sofa you can afford, and use on-trend accessories as your “save” items.
- Sense of place
- Be aware of the home’s style and location and respect it.
- Your home is your auto biography
- Don’t try to make it like anyone else’s!