Sometimes it is not time to do a major overhaul of a room of your home, but when you enter the space, all you feel is “blah.” It does not feel pulled together, or finished, or lovely.
How can you give your room a fresh look in between new sofas? There are lots of places you can add a little POP. Here are a few of my favorites:
Does your space have a:
1. Natural: a plant or succulent, floral, mineral or shell. Our connection to the outdoors is important and biophilic design is a major trend in interior design as it contributes to wellness. The simple addition of an organic element can really enliven a room.
2. Reflective: a slippery glass texture, or mercury glass. These are easy items to pick up at your local Home Goods in the form of a vase, object d’art, or lamp.
3. Round: accessory, tray, or ottoman. Too many squares and rectangles and the room will start to feel boring and too industrial. Once a round piece is introduced, the energy in the space (not to be too “woo-woo”) starts to flow and move.
6. Menswear/tailored/masculine: a plaid or herringbone pillow or throw. There is something about the images a menswear fabric evokes that adds a bit of pizzazz: hunting lodge, British pub, Wall Street suit.
7. Feminine/ruffled/silk/satin: The soft side of design like a skirted pouf or silky pillow can bring the comfort a space is lacking.
8. From the sea: coral, shell, or marine life. There is something elemental about the ocean that connects us to the earth. If you love the beach, so much the better.
9. Multiple fabrics of same color, different textures: pick one color and get 3 different pillows in it.